If you’re planning to do a little spring cleaning this weekend, we’ve got a few tips for making the whole process go much smoother. While it may seem daunting at first glance, with a few helpful items like shoe racks, laundry sorters or wire shelves, you can minimize your clutter with ease. Here are a few steps you can take to get started down the path to a more organized closet and life.
1. Separate. Pick up some boxes, set aside an afternoon and begin sorting through your closet. Separate the junk from the treasures first, as that will be the easiest process. If you already have shoe racks in your closet, going through your shoes will be much easier since they’re already on display and easy for you to see. Make a pile of “questionable” items to sort through at the end.
2. Be ruthless. Toss out everything you haven’t worn in more than a year or anything that no longer fits. Free up your wire shelves of anything that’s not classic or is a trendy piece that’s long gone out of style. Take these things to Goodwill or a homeless shelter and be done with them forever. If you feel sentimental or nostalgic about certain items, truly think about why and hang on to them only if it’s really necessary.
3. Group items. Put all your clothes together, shoes on yourshoe racks, handbags in their own separate area. If you’re really feeling zealous and want to kick it up a notch, sort clothes by color or season.
4. Clear the floors. The less on the floor, the better. Put laundry in a hamper or, even better, get convenient laundry sorters to make washing your clothes super easy.
5. Invest in storage bins. For items that shouldn’t be to be hung, get a few storage bins that you group them together in. You can get inexpensive plastic bins or more upscale canvas ones—either way they’ll be a life saver. Just make sure to label them so you can quickly find what you need.
Image Source: http://www.savvysugar.com